April 26, 2009

Where's my Mini?

Last February, I heard that BMW had finally decided to officially open Mini Cooper dealerships in Brazil.  So even before the official launch, I made a down payment to secure my name on the waiting list and went to the online configurator to build my dream model.  A friend of mine and I shared a 48-hour test drive of a beautiful horizon blue Mini Cooper S which was a lot of fun.  I was told that my car would arrive in March.  A few weeks ago, I went to the opening of Sao Paulo's first show room but I'm still waiting for my very own Mini.  Last time I called, they told me it is scheduled to arrive late May.

The waiting has made me think that there's a huge opportunity for an import auto brand to provide an online personalized service where a buyer could visually see the different phases of the process.  The Mini brand is all about customization, from different choices of alloy tires to roof designs, mirror caps and bonnet stripes.  To reinforce this positioning, wouldn't it be cool to see images of your Mini being prepared for shipment, being loaded on the cargo ship, views of the journey, the unloading at the Port of Santos?   

It would certainly be a powerful marketing concept. 


1 comment:

Fernando Souza said...

Ricardo, it's kind funny and sad at the same time, since we're talking about a great German automaker that owns a famous British brand and have a client (you) WAIT for a long time for a exclusive and expensive product not be delivered on time. (remember - time - is something that the Germans and British respect)

I hope that you receive your Mini as soon is possible and please don't forget to post a photo in your blog!

Cheers!

Fernando

fersouza@br.ibm.com