August 9, 2008

Waiting for stories from Beijing...

While the very best athletes from around the world compete for glory in Beijing, I'm interested in another competition that doesn't necessarily happen on the field of play. It's the quest of thousands of journalists who are in search of those special stories that will end up defining these olympics games. More than ever, I find myself more interested in the personal dramas, the motivations, the stories that will make an athlete bigger than life... than the medal itself.

This morning, I was reading an article on 2007 Nobel Prize-winner Doris Lessing and how she believes mankind has an addiction to storytelling. Whether its fiction or the epic stories we will hear from Beijing, I totally agree.


I couldn't help but adding an image of Marta, Brazil's first female soccer superstar who has become a role model for girls all over the country.  In a country where the sport has been traditionally a guy's game, Marta is an inspirational force of renewal.

No comments: