September 23, 2008

Dreadful news, a few days in NY and a bowl of oatmeal

I'm in New York this week to attend a few seminars as part of Advertising Week. To be honest, after what happened to the financial markets last week, it's probably not the right timing to be listening to panels on self-regulation or the opportunity of social networks on advertising. On the other hand, I must say that the credit crunch that is threatening to throw the economy in a deep slump, also creates a unique opportunity for brands that can provide a sense of comfort and trust.

I guess I was one of the first to have breakfast this morning here at the hotel anxiously reading the Wall Street Journal to try and make sense of what's going on in the world. I ordered a bowl of oatmeal and honey, which I rarely do. It was only after breakfast that I thought it was probably because in times of uncertainty comfort food feels just right. It's certaintly an opportunity for companies that provide little moments of comfort and pleasure.

I wonder what changes in consumer behavior we will be seeing in the aftermath of the economic crisis and which marketers will be able to convert a potential downside into opportunities?

No comments: